Procmail Vulnerabilities check

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Dec 8 18:19:14 UTC 2017

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 09:58:55AM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Dec 2017, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>>
>>> A little concernedthat I got no response to this.
>>> Is Procmail dead for most of you guys(ducking)
>>
>> procmail is ancient, and has had known quality issues for much of the
>> time.  Consider maildrop as a more powerful and more maintained
>> replacement that is pretty easy to implement:
>>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/maildrop.html
>
> Warren,
>
> Thanks for the pointer to another of your excellent short tutorials.
>
> I note that you discuss sendmail's /etc/mail/hostname.mc
> file and how to reset local_procmail.  First, there is
> movement afoot to remove sendmail from FreeBSD and replace
> it with dma(1).  Second, a number of people probably do as
> I do, and invoke procmail from a .forward file.
>
> %  cat ~/.forward
> "|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f-"
>
> Do you know if maildrop can be used in a similar way?  I
> suppose I have some reading to do.

I have not used a .forward file in a long time, but certainly it can be
done... found this in http://www.postfix.org/MAILDROP_README.html:

/home/you/.forward:
     "|/path/to/maildrop -d ${USER}"

My impression of maildrop is that it has a superset of procmail's
abilities, but with easier syntax and easier but more powerful PCRE
regexes.