THANK YOU for flavors!

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Dec 7 23:06:18 UTC 2017

On 12/7/2017 5:43 PM, Stari Karp wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 07:51 -0500, Baho Utot wrote:

>>> Do you have a web page where flavours are explained nicely for non
>>> technical FreeBSD users so that they can also see the benefits of
>>> flavour. I think it is a little odd that a big change like this is
>>> not
>>> mentioned in any way on the front page of FreeBSD.
>>> I really believe things are better this way albeit i did not read
>>> and
>>> understand it in a whole. I also believe flavours are nice in a
>>> multi
>>> server envirement and on the desktop.
>>> The negative noice comes from people who USE FreeBSD on a single
>>> machine
>>> or maybe 2 and are now confronted with there old habbits not
>>> working
>>> anymore.
>>> Give those people a walkthrough how they can run poudriere. Best
>>> without
>>> out a server but just a oneliner they need to remeber for future
>>> updates. They do not want to spend too much time reading and trying
>>> update there system.
>>> If FreeBSD has done that i think that was lot less negative noice
>>> on the
>>> channels.
>>>
>>> Secondly I want to thank you all for the great product FreeBSD is
>>> and it
>>> is a great product thanks to all the time people infest into
>>> FreeBSD.
>>> So thank you all. But i also hope FreeBSD learns from these big
>>> changes.
>>> If FreeBSD want a larger userbase, single machine users are there.
>>> And
>>> they do not want to spend an hour reading through a poudriere man
>>> page.
>>> They just want to type pgk upgrade, portmaster -d -a, or maybe
>>> poudriere
>>> update ports for all that matters.
>>>
>> users also don't want to wake up to the fact that what worked a few
>> days
>> ago not is working ie fetch/update port repo run synth and then get a
>> "
>> What the fuck has just happened now" only to be put down by the so
>> called folks in charge here for even asking.
>>

> I understand your frustration but I am happy with Synth and Mr. Marino
> made patches extremely fast. I updated everything with success.

John new "port system" looks really good it may well be the wave of the
future, if it gets a little support.  check out

https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports

and

http://www.ravenports.com

Of course it will need to expand to other platforms, and expand the
number of packages in the ravenports system, but it looks like a good
alternative to ports.

Too bad I am moving from FreeBSD back to Linux or I would have a go with
it.  I have been working on something that is similar to ravenports for
all my in house servers and desktops.  I should have something working
by the end of the year.  I already have a "system builder" completed
that builds and installs a scratch built linux base system. I will have
some "meta packages" that will allow one to install desktop machines by
installing one base package and one desktop package for a working
base/default desktop machine.  That is how I setup my freebsd boxs (soon
to be linux boxs), desktop-lumina, desktop-kde and desktop-gnome.  I
also have meta packages for server-mail, server-dns, server-file,
server-web and server-dhcp. Installing is simple as booting to the USB
drive, partitioning and installing ext4 filesystem(s) and then install
base and desktop-kde.  edit a few config files and it's done. Same for
servers.  If I want a dns and dhcp server all I need to do is to install
base, server-dns and server-dhcp and edit a few config files and I am
good to go.