THANK YOU for flavors!

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Dec 7 14:29:41 UTC 2017

On 12/07/17 08:36, Lars Engels wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 07:51:15AM -0500, Baho Utot wrote:

>>> Do you have a web page where flavours are explained nicely for non
>>> technical FreeBSD users so that they can also see the benefits of
>>> flavour. I think it is a little odd that a big change like this is not
>>> mentioned in any way on the front page of FreeBSD.
>>> I really believe things are better this way albeit i did not read and
>>> understand it in a whole. I also believe flavours are nice in a multi
>>> server envirement and on the desktop.
>>> The negative noice comes from people who USE FreeBSD on a single machine
>>> or maybe 2 and are now confronted with there old habbits not working
>>> anymore.
>>> Give those people a walkthrough how they can run poudriere. Best without
>>> out a server but just a oneliner they need to remeber for future
>>> updates. They do not want to spend too much time reading and trying to
>>> update there system.
>>> If FreeBSD has done that i think that was lot less negative noice on the
>>> channels.
>>>
>>> Secondly I want to thank you all for the great product FreeBSD is and it
>>> is a great product thanks to all the time people infest into FreeBSD.
>>> So thank you all. But i also hope FreeBSD learns from these big changes.
>>> If FreeBSD want a larger userbase, single machine users are there. And
>>> they do not want to spend an hour reading through a poudriere man page.
>>> They just want to type pgk upgrade, portmaster -d -a, or maybe poudriere
>>> update ports for all that matters.
>>>

>> users also don't want to wake up to the fact that what worked a few days
>> ago not is working ie fetch/update port repo run synth and then get a "
>> What the fuck has just happened now" only to be put down by the so
>> called folks in charge here for even asking.
>
> I think we all understood your point. Please come back if you have
> something new to say.
>
> Thank you!

I think you have heard what I have been saying for 3 to 4 years.... You
certainly have not understood it as the same "mistakes" keep occurring.
There are ways to "roll out" these kind of changes gracefully, you folks
just seem to bring them out and the consequences BE DAMNED, The Bull in
the china cabinet comes to mind.