Working on FLAVOR support in portmaster

Alexander Leidinger Alexander at leidinger.net
Thu Dec 7 13:50:09 UTC 2017

Quoting Stefan Esser <se at freebsd.org> (from Tue, 5 Dec 2017 08:35:55 +0100):

> Am 05.12.17 um 00:43 schrieb Tatsuki Makino:
>> By the way, where is the clever way to update to flavor?
>> I am using portmaster.
>
> I'm working on FLAVOR support in portmaster. My version did already build

I wonder if it would make sense to import portmaster into FreeBSD SVN.
It is a tool targeting the FreeBSD ports tree and pkg infrastructure
and it looks like it is important for a not so small userbase.

While there are several committers within the contributors (I'm not
sure if this means they have write access to the repo or if it just
means that a pull request was accepted), there is more or less no
progress since 2013 (yes, a few commits there, but also useful pull
requests for e.g. local package installation with pkgng support which
are not integrated at all). If we look at how widespread the use of
portmaster still is (and I'm sure there are more people which use it
and are more cool-headed and just wait if there are some fixes coming
for it in the near future like it was the case for the pkgng switch),
it would make sense to have the (as it looks)
abandoned-on-github-portmaster-version in a FreeBSD controlled area.

Alternatively, how would a FreeBSD committer like Stefan or Torsten or
me or whoever gain write access to
https://github.com/freebsd/portmaster/ so get some progress in the
official portmaster location and create a new release (sorry my
ignorance for github and how it works, I'm used to CVS/SVN workflows)?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander at Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF