Flavors *COMPLETELY* break the port system (synth and poudriere are useless)

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 11:15:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:01 AM, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Op 06/12/2017 om 10:53 schreef Mathieu Arnold:

> >> Thank you for taking a perfectly good system and breaking it as well
> >> as making it unusable, unstable.  You just don't know of all the
> >> countless hours spent after running an update and taking a week to get
> >> it working again.
> >>
> >> It really helps motivate all of us users to continue to have to fix
> >> broken systems due to broken ports system and then be told how great
> >> things are, brings us so much joy and keeps our attitude positive.
> > For the users using binary packages, poudriere, or the ports tree
> > directly nothing changed.
> >
> > For users of third party abandonware, well, they were warned that it was
> > bound to happen at one point, and guess what, it happened. I don't
> > really understand why you continue spending all this time complaining
> > whereas switching to, say, poudriere, would have taken you about 5
> minutes.

Abandonware that until flavors *JUST WORKED* out of the box (no weird
configs/etc.)

Why was there not an Latest news item that the ports tree is going to
> receive flavour support in X days and that allmost all port tools will
> not work anymore, Why is there not an item that the ports tree is
> flavoured at this point?

This is the real problem for someone (like me) who just svn update and
portmaster -ad (after glancing through UPDATING to make sure there are no
weird issues) the note in UPDATING was the *FIRST TIME* I had ever heard of
flavors and it contained absolutely no info on how to migrate to it besides
a totally useless:
"  Ports using Python via USES=python are now flavored.  All the py3-* ports
  have been removed and folded into their py-* master ports.

  People using Poudriere 3.2+ and binary packages do not have to do
anything.

  For other people, to build the Python 3.6 version of, for example,
  databases/py-gdbm, you need to run:

    # make FLAVOR=py36 install"

Says nothing at all about what flavors are, how they effect anything but
py-* and/or that they are a fundimental architural change.    No pointers
to learn more.   It reeks of the opening sequence of the Outer Limits ("we
control the vertical, we control the horizontal,...") or something from
Orwell or Trump.

BTW I am slightly more then a casual user of FreeBSD (see interview in Fen.
2017 BSD Magazine) and I found it confusing.