Debugging a crash

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Wed Dec 6 03:17:39 UTC 2017

FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p24
FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (from base)
GNU gdb 6.1.1 (from base)
I'm trying to debug a crash in the multimedia/tvheadend 4.2.3 server on
the above system when playing a recorded program on tvheadend's Android
client.  It reliably crashes when I try to fast forward.  But if I run
the server under gdb to catch the SIGSEGV, the stack is complete trash.
Even if I try to single-step through the top level of main(), gdb acts
unhappy (though before starting the program I can at least list the
source, having specified "directory /usr/ports/....").  Should base gdb
be able to debug base clang binaries?  Do I need clang from ports? or
gdb from ports?  Does devel/lldb38 work better?  Thanks from this
prospective cord-cutter for any help.                      -- George