Flavors *COMPLETELY* break the port system (synth and poudriere are useless)

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 09:53:09 UTC 2017

First some background (my typical use cases for ports):

0. FreeBSD lilith 11.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE #0 r321664: Fri Jul 28
23:35:18 EDT 2017     root at lilith:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

1. Daily routine (current):

      cd /usr/src
      svn update (from 11.1-RELEASE)
      [make -DESTDIR=/ world kernel&&etcupdate&&reboot as needed]

      cd /usr/ports
      svn update (from HEAD)
      portmaster -ad
      [reboot if any Xorg/xfce or stuff in rc.d got modified]

2. I maintain devel/aegis (which as per Bug 219284 does not compile with
anything greater then GCC 5 [I don't have time to figure out how to patch
it is make it work {the upstream maintainer died a few years ago}]).

So what happens when I see UPDATING 20171130:

1. I decide to try poudriere since it seems to what people are raving
about.   What a <bleep>'ing confusing mess it is use!!!! After deciding it
is over kill I go to option 2

2. I installed synth (2.00) and *ATTEMPTED* to do a upgrade-system with the
following results (still not a successful run):

    a. Hard freezes the machine (not even a kernel panic) 4 times in a row

    b. Skips devel/aegis recompile because it can't understand the makefile
or something (see above).  *BUT* gives no clues as to why and gives me
nothing actionable on how to repair the port

3. The suggestion of using plainly old make install on each port is
unworkable because it is fundamentally error prone with my daily use case.

TL;DR;
Flavors <bleep>'ed up ports and there are no good ways/alternates for how
to use the ports collection for normal everyday users/maintainers