Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Dennis Glatting freebsd at pki2.com
Mon Dec 4 01:47:36 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-12-03 at 20:07 +0000, Steven Hartland wrote:
> People really seem to miss the point that there are only finite
> resources
> and as an open source project that depends on people volunteering
> their
> time to add new features and maintain tools.

Missing the point cuts both ways.

If you have a a couple swaths of servers managed to certain tool chains
then the conversion process is an unnecessary and non-trivial resource
consumption. I have moved servers to Ubuntu and (groan) other Linux
flavors and customized the processes because:

 1) I am tired of port breakage. I am past tired of being told to read
UPDATEs when UPDATEs often has limited information, including install
conflicts.

 2) "Error 70" on installs with no indication of where the error was
incurred and thus requiring me to make with debug flags and then dig
deep is past annoying.

 3) Nvidia does not support CUDA under FreeBSD and this is a problem
for TensorFlow and other applications. If I went the OpenCL route
(e.g., AMD GPUs) then my application base would be significantly
limited. I don't consider Intel a serious solution.

Further:

1) Under FreeBSD I do not do binaries, rather I do source and I do
source for reasons. Under Linux, source is troublesome.

2) I had no hope of getting Intel Phi processors working under FreeBSD
but I do have them working under Linux, including the older Phis under
CentOS. I recognize this is an Intel problem which is one of the
reasons I do not consider Intel a serious solution, not to mention the
requirements and cost of an Intel compiler and Intel libraries.

3) FreeBSD offers me ZFS and FreeNAS as an alternative, particularly
for HyperV/VMware SANS. Under Linux, ZFS has historically been
troublesome.

These are nothing more than a few data points. Please do not bother
with the "then become a maintainer" response. It is not that I do not
appreciate the efforts of others but that statement is a BS response,
you know it, and I'll simply delete your message.