Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Dec 3 23:12:39 UTC 2017

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com wrote on
Sun Dec 3 22:04:34 UTC 2017 :

> I just checked out < https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports/wiki/quickstart-freebsd >
> and < http://ravenports.ironwolf.systems/ > and I have to admit that I am interested.
> I am wondering if it will ever get accepted into the ports system.

I'll note that https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports says:

Official Website
Please visit http://ravenports.ironwolf.systems for additional and current information.

Ravenports has its own repository: Unlike ports-mgmt/synth,
Ravenports is not based on the FreeBSD ports tree in FreeBSD.
So switching is more than a tool change. The list of available
ports is visible at:

http://ravenports.ironwolf.systems/catalog/

It said "2,356 entries" at the time I looked. They are
just getting started.

It looks like for those not on x86-64/amd64 and aarch64
will possibly be out of range for Ravenports. Also some
*BSD's may be as well.

Details:
Extracting some text from the Supported Platforms area
of the http://ravenports.ironwolf.systems/ page. . .
(Track by looking at the original page.)

. . .
For the core developers, the main architectures targeted are the x86_64 and ARM Aarch64.
New architecture support from serious contributors capable of performing the initial
bootstrap and periodic quality-assurance builds of the entire Ravenports tree will be
accepted into the project.

Long Term
Support increasingly unlikely
	• Darwin/Mac OSX/x86_64