poudriere, python ports, and flavors oh my?

Eric Masson emss at free.fr
Sun Dec 3 13:31:19 UTC 2017

Adam Weinberger <adamw at adamw.org> writes:

Hi Adam,

> Given that most people don't participate and test patches while they're
> in review, you have to expect that some bugs will only surface when it
> lands in HEAD. This is precisely why we have quarterly branches, and why
> we recommend that most people stay on quarterly.

For starters, the following is not intended to troll anyone.

FLAVORS mechanism seems to be a quite nice tool to improve ports, but
the landing in ports/head raises few questions.

Is ports/head becoming the alter ego of src/head (possible breakages or
disruptive new features from time to time) ?

If yes, this should be written down in the handbook (chapter on ports
still states ports/head for svn retrieval) and quarterly ports branches
should be publicized.

I've just switched to 2017Q4 on my main 11-STABLE box by digging in
various ports docs after I've read this very post I'm answering to.

I thus got rid of ports/head FLAVORS related issues (portmaster is my
tool of choice as poudriere seems a bit overkill for my needs).

Thanks to all involved.

Éric Masson

--
 Cela m'a même déjà valu quelques discussions animés avec mes paires
 -+- FC in <http://www.le-gnu.net> : Tête à tête ou tête à queue ? -+-