Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Dec 2 18:44:06 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 11:53:58AM +0000, Carmel NY wrote:
> Looking back at other port management utilities like "portmanager",
> "portmaster", "portupgrade" and now "synth", The FreeBSD team has
> done a pretty good job of obfuscating and rendering them impotent.

That's one possible explanation.  Or, as Occam's Razor suggests, they
continue to try to modernize the Ports Collection, despite obstacles
(including stale codebases and stubborn maintainers).

I'll admit some of the transitions have been pretty rough.  But when
you go back and look at Ports as of e.g. FreeBSD 4, there have been a
lot of good changes -- including some which were necessary due to sheer
scale.

If we had stayed with what we had then, the whole thing would have
collapsed by now.

mcl