Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Charlie Li ml at vishwin.info
Sat Dec 2 12:29:01 UTC 2017

On 02/12/2017 06:53, Carmel NY wrote:
> Well, I certainly have no intention of installing and then learning how to use
> an industrial sized solution line poudriere for a relatively small home network.

poudriere is not industrial-sized at all. Sure, it has many features
that I don't exactly use, but it's certainly not industrial-sized. I had
the same impression of a monstrosity before I started using it myself,
on my *laptop* of all things.
> Looking back at other port management utilities like "portmanager",
> "portmaster", "portupgrade" and now "synth", The FreeBSD team has done a
> pretty good job of obfuscating and rendering them impotent. Which brings me
> to what happens if I do embrace "poudriere". How long before that becomes
> history also?

portmgr officially maintains and promotes poudriere. It's not going
anywhere until they say it is.

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…