FreeBSD 11 - does virtualbox work for you ?

Ricardo Campos Passanezi riccp at ige.unicamp.br
Fri Dec 1 15:41:30 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 03:33:10PM +0100, Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
> Le Thu, 30 Nov 2017 16:05:20 +0100,
> Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd at davenulle.org> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> > Does Virtualbox work for you on 11-STABLE (today stable) ?
> >
> > I've tried virtualbox 5.2 (built from port and packages) and 5.1
> > (from quarterly packages) and when using a guest (windows 7) it hangs
> > very often, I'm even unable to install a guest.
> >
> > I think it hangs on disk IO. I've tried all the network adapters too
> > (NAT / bridge etc).
> >
> > That worked fine with virtualbox 5.1 on 10-STABLE.
> >
> > Any clue?
>
> I have resolved the problem. On the VM the disk
> controller was set to "SATA" and it works fine using IDE.

I had a scenario like yours but with an 11.1-PRERELEASE, after a virtualbox
upgrade.

I've deleted the SATA drive and the controller, then recreated them
(SATA again) and attached the vdi to the disk and it worked again (I've
used as IDE first and then tested the other way).

> I don't know if this is a change in the configuration of this
> VM, but a windows guest hangs with SATA.
>
> Regards.

Ricardo Campos Passanezi - Network Analyst
PGP & GPG public key at:   http://www.ige.unicamp.br/~riccp
Institute of Geosciences - http://www.ige.unicamp.br - UNICAMP