Synth and circular dependencies

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Thu Aug 31 08:00:55 UTC 2017

> On 31 August 2017 at 17:59, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:
> > Now I've been busy, selecting port options to include in
> > /usr/local/etc/synth/LiveSystem-make.conf

> > but when I run "synth status gnumeric", I get

> > Configuration invalid: [D] Port options directory: /var/db/ports

> > so without a directory like /var/db/ports showing options derived from the ports dialog, synth seems not to work.

> The directory *must* be there, but it can be empty.

> > Is there any dialog-free way to use synth?

> Yup, I'm using it with the LiveSystem-make.conf.

> Cheers.

> Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>

I tried setting the port options directory to /usr/local/etc/synth/LiveSystem-make.conf, but I guess that was not good enough.

Maybe it had to be a directory, not a file?

I will try again when I get back into that installation.

I also wonder about the future of synth with John Marino banished from FreeBSD, don't want to go to DragonFlyBSD because of incompatibility problems not relating to dports.

Tom