Synth and circular dependencies

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Wed Aug 23 06:20:24 UTC 2017

from Don Lewis:

> When I switched from portupgrade to poudriere, I used the attached
> script to find the non-default option settings in /var/db/ports.

> [-- Attachment #2: portoptions --]
> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 1.4K --]

> #!/bin/sh
> PORTSDIR=/usr/ports
(snip)

Thanks for the script, I assume I can modify PORTSDIR line as needed.

No need to quote all, especially with "> " prepended to each line.

I can try the script or start over from the beginning given the mess I got into.

But the complexity of the script convinces me further of how dialog-free systems (pkgsrc, Gentoo portage for instance) are better.

But I was going strong with synth, and that might encourage me to continue to make that installation more fully functional.

I can run "synth status ..." on desired packages to see before running if the options are compatible.

Tom