Synth and circular dependencies

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 22 03:17:51 UTC 2017

Again, I am responding from the FreeBSD mailing list web interface because that is faster than reaching my inbox.

from Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 21 23:16:36 UTC 2017

> > I went to /usr/ports/textproc/xmlto , ran "make all-depends-list", and
> > one line that showed up was
> > /usr/ports/textproc/xmlto

> > depends on itself.

> I don't see that here with default option settings:

> %cd /usr/ports/textproc/xmlto && make all-depends-list | grep textproc
> /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
> /usr/ports/textproc/libxslt
> /usr/ports/textproc/docbook-xsl
> /usr/ports/textproc/xmlcatmgr
> /usr/ports/textproc/docbook
> /usr/ports/textproc/docbook-sgml
> /usr/ports/textproc/iso8879
> /usr/ports/textproc/docbook-xml
> /usr/ports/textproc/xmlcharent
> /usr/ports/textproc/sdocbook-xml

> > Otherwise, on newer system, I see circular dependencies running "make
> > all-depends-list", finding textproc/xmlto depended on graphics/gd and
> > vice versa.

> I don't see the former:

> %cd /usr/ports/textproc/xmlto && make all-depends-list | grep graphics
> [nada]

> or the latter:

> %cd /usr/ports/graphics/gd && make all-depends-list | grep textproc
> /usr/ports/textproc/expat2

> This is with the head branch of the ports tree, revision r448344.

> Problems like this with the default option settings tend to get found
> and fixed fairly quickly because this will cause failures on the package
> build cluster and will spam the maintainer's mailbox with build failure
> messages.

I didn't think I went overboard selecting options, but I did want documentation.  Maybe that screwed up, or the ports tree was not up to it.

I suppose I could move (mv) /var/db/ports to /var/db/ports2 temporarily just to see what happens when I "make all-depends-list".

I really need to be able to see the options in a better way than the FreeBSD ports framework allows, like in a file /etc/mk.conf (pkgsrc) or USE= ... as in /etc/make.conf (Gentoo portage).

Dialog4ports is better than the previous dialog but not as good as seeing in a file mk.conf or make.conf .

Otherwise, I don't really know any elegant way to fix the options mess I got into.

Tom