I went to install 11.1 yesterday

scratch65535 at att.net scratch65535 at att.net
Sun Aug 20 14:30:33 UTC 2017

[Default] On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:05:29 +0000, Manish Jain
<bourne.identity at hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 08/20/17 17:20, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
>> discovered that, like Linux (or at
>> least Ubuntu) 11 doesn't support MBR
>

>Hi,
>
>There must be some misunderstanding here. Both Linux as well as FreeBSD
>11 fully support MBR. I have installed 11 as well as 12-current using MBR.
>
>I do not know what leads you to that conclusion. If you could tell
>precisely what you tried, perhaps someone will point out the actual
>problem for your system.

That's quite interesting!  What led me to believe it is that,
after installing windows, which required creating and formatting
an MBR partition, I tried to install 11.1 on the rest of the
disc.  The first choice I was given was whole disc or partition.
I chose partition, of course.  Whereupon it told me that MBR
isn't supported, and that I could either permit it to consume the
whole disc (for GPT, though it didn't actually say that), or back
up and choose differently.  Functionally, the only choices on
offer were whole disc or quit.  I quit.