State of FUSE on FreeBSD

Ben RUBSON ben.rubson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 12:20:41 UTC 2017

> On 03 Aug 2017, at 22:22, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On 3/8/17 7:38 pm, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am the upstream maintainer of libfuse. I'd like to refresh / improve
>> the FreeBSD support in libfuse. My goal is for libfuse not to require
>> any FreeBSD specific patches.
>
> Hi, great to hear from you!
> at $JOB we use libfuse and We have always worried that we don't really
> have anyone in FreeBSD that really has fuse as a priority.

Glad to hear from Nikolaus too, seeing that efforts are taken to keep
libfuse FreeBSD compatible out of the box ! For sure this is great !

I also hugely use fuse, so having it to work correctly (at least bug-free)
is mandatory for me.

> Rick Maclem has looked at it a little, as have a few people (see the commit logs)
> but generally as long as it more or less works, people tend to steer
> clear of it.
>
> For us libfuse "just worked" so we haven't touched it.
> We had to touch the kernel part of fuse a little so remove some overly restrictive
> permission checks, and fix some issues to do with page boundaries (from memory)
> but nothing in the library.

I've also reported a few bugs which were in kernel, and have been corrected thanks to
the great FreeBSD community.
Fuse kernel support lacks some features, such as entry_timeout / attr_timeout (reported),
but it then concerns kernel, not libfuse.

Thx !

Ben