Help needed by first-timer porter

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 05:43:22 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have been using FreeBSD for a long time now (+15 years), and I raring
to submit 3 ports, each one a Bourne script.

With one of the ports (mkdesktop), I am facing a situation that I cannot
resolve using the existing information, at least as far as I am concerned.

mkdesktop (which is a script itself) sources another script named
stage-definitions. While mkdesktop can happily live under
/usr/local/bin, stage-definitions is far from ideally located in that
directory. Instead, stage-definitions must reside on a per-user basis in
$HOME/mkdesktop.

What I am looking to do is that when a user runs mkdesktop, it checks
for the directory $HOME/mkdesktop. If that directory does not exist,
mkdesktop creates it and then copies the default stage-definitions file
into it (the user can then modify it as [s]he wishes).

The question is, at this stage, where do I get the default
stage-definitions file from. If I specify stage-definitions among the
package's listing, it will go into one of the standard directories,
which is not what I want.

Thanks for any help.
Manish Jain