Ports' QT5_USE assumes qt5-*, but build links executables to a specific minor version 5.7.*

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 30 08:14:56 UTC 2017

Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> writes:
> I had this problem: system had the older qt5-*-5.6.1 version. I installed
> qbittorrent using pkg. qbittorrent then failed saying it can't find the Qt_5.7
> tag.
>
> QT5_USE makes sure qt5-* dependencies exist, but the actual dependency is a
> specific qt5 minor version. pkg therefore installs such port but it then fails.
>
> Is there any solution to this problem? Are qt versions with different minor
> numbers (qt5-*-5.6 and qt5-*-5.7) really incompatible? This might be a bug in
> the qt build process that it requires the minor version match.

Was qbittorrent built with Qt 5.7? Qt only guarantees backwards
compatibility, so qbittorrent built with Qt 5.6 would continue working
if you have Qt 5.7+ installed, not the other way around.