Downloading with lynx or w3m, how to download as is, without gratuitous gzip

Anatoly anatoly at kazanfieldhockey.ru
Tue Apr 25 02:22:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 23:48:32 +0000
"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:

> I have no recent experience with links.  Should I build with
> graphics, without graphics, or build links1?
If you wish text console only, no graphics needed. Under x11 it's nice
fast simple graphical browser when started as 'links -g' otherwise. If
you wish graphics without x11, may experiment with direct fb and
svgalib. Links1 is an old version (contemporary is 2.x).

I think w3m doesn't gzip anything itself, but When talking to server it
says that gzip supported. Then it receives compressed stream from
server and fails (or just lazy) to decompress it.

-w3m must not say to server "Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate" if it can't
gunzip
-server must not send gzipped stream if above not said. And
unfortunately, I think, some servers may not respect this.
-w3m must gunzip it otherwise.

I never used w3m, have not it istalled yet, but quick look at manual on
the web gives a idea to try
w3m -header "accept-encoding: identity"
to explicitly say to server send everything in plain.

Can you display content you trying to save on w3m screen online? If
yes, may try to fight for gzipping off, but if no, you must investigate
why gunzipping is not working within w3m (is it compiled against zlib
 or something at all?). Btw, what is the url you trying to save?

> Lynx was nice before it got intimately mixed with gzip.
But every browser nowadays can do "content gunzipping" due to existing
web standard