svn error: node conflict in /usr/ports/x11/xcb-proto/files

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Apr 23 11:12:32 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 09:32:08AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > > FreeBSD amelia2 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1 r286653M: Wed
> > Aug 12 15:25:51 UTC 2015
> > > root at amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY11NC-NDIS amd64
>
> > You should really update world/kernel first and then update all your ports.
> > At least some ports will probably fail on this old system.
>
> > Herbert
>
> I know or strongly believe I need to update world/kernel before updating ports; that applies to NetBSD as well as FreeBSD.
>
> I remember reading on this emailing list (ports) that ports might not build if the underlying base system is not supported.
>
> In any case, I would have to rebuild ports again after updating world/kernel.
>
> I was stung on that matter at least once when I updated world/kernel, believe I ran "make delete-old-libs", rendered many ports nonoperational, and had a lot of rebuilding to do.

The sequence in which I update the various components on systems:
* buildworld
* buildkernel (including kernel mods from ports)
* installkernel (including kernel mods from ports)
* mergemaster -p
* installworld
* mergemaster
* delete-old
* reboot
* delete any unwanted ports that are installed
* update all installed ports
* delete-old-libs
* add any ports not installed, but wanted
* reboot

I do this daily on a couple of machines; only weekly on others.  I
rarely have problems caused by the process.  (Note caveat, there. :-})

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Who would have thought that a "hotelier" would be so ... unwelcoming?  Sad.