How to use cached packages

Patrick Powell papowell at astart.com
Thu Apr 20 19:10:38 UTC 2017

I ran into a problem where I needed to reinstall a package. However,  I
did not have network access to the pkg repository.  I did have a system
which had all of the pkgs which I needed in the pkg cache.  I can easily
copy these to the system,  as well as the pkg database, etc.

So:  is there a SIMPLE way to have pkg check to see if a pkg is already
in the pkg cache and use that before trying to go to the repository?

Is there a SIMPLE way to prevent pkg from trying to check the pkg
repository for an update?

I strongly suspect that something like:

pkg --do_not_check_for_latest_version --use_cached_pkg install firefox

Any help on this before I tear out the three strands of hair I have left
would be appreciated.

--
Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies
papowell at astart.com            1530 Jamacha Rd, Suite X