Is pkg quarterly really needed?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu Apr 20 12:21:18 UTC 2017

Mathieu Arnold wrote on 2017/04/20 13:29:
> Le 20/04/2017 à 13:04, Julian Elischer a écrit :
>> On 20/4/17 5:15 pm, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>>> Le 20/04/2017 à 10:49, Torfinn Ingolfsen a écrit :

>>> I am not exactly sure what you are asking for, to keep the previous, not
>>> updated, quarterly package repositories ? say, in latest-1 latest-2
>>> latest-3... ?
>>>

>>> What purpose would that serve ? I mean, they would not be updated.
>>
>> exactly! that's what is often needed...  something that is not updated..
>
> I still do not understand, if you need something that is not updated,
> then do not update...

It is not just about updates but about new installs too - if you have
dozens of machines for customers and you need them all in the same
version. Then some customer need some package not installed on his
machine and you cannot run "pkg install somepackage" because then you
will end up with upgrade of already installed packages (dependencies)
before new package from current quaterly branch is installed.

(I do not use this scheme, but I understand the environment where
somebody needs frozen pkg repo for much longer time than 3 months)

Miroslav Lachman