Is pkg quarterly really needed?

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 20 11:04:46 UTC 2017

On 20/4/17 5:15 pm, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> Le 20/04/2017 à 10:49, Torfinn Ingolfsen a écrit :
>> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Kurt Jaeger <lists at opsec.eu> wrote:
>>> Hi!

>>> Because the URL for the latest quarterly is one stable URL.
>> Obviously this has to be changed. As I wrote:
>> "No extra work involved once the setup is configured and tested".
>> So yes, there is some work needed, but it would be a one-time job.
>>
>> If anyone has any real arguments as to why the FreeBSD project can't
>> do it this way, let's hear them.
>> HTH
>
> I am not exactly sure what you are asking for, to keep the previous, not
> updated, quarterly package repositories ? say, in latest-1 latest-2
> latest-3... ?
>

> What purpose would that serve ? I mean, they would not be updated.

exactly! that's what is often needed...  something that is not updated..
having spent 20 years embedding FreeBSD into products I can tell you
that the commercial reality is a requirement for FROZEN (or near to
it) contents. not contents changing all the time. ports/pkgs that need
to be updated for security reasons are the exception, not the rule.
And since handling a security issue usually required extra paperwork
anyhow, they are usually handled in a different workflow.

here's a workflow I'd find less annoying.. or something similar:

quarterly snapshot into .../quarterly/$DATE/initial/All/
    this never changes again. it is a snapshot of the head set of
patches at that time. no recomipiles needed.
an additional directory: .../quarterly/$DATE/updating/All...
     all files in 'updating' start out as symlinks to
../../initial/All/$filename and are replaced if the files get updated.
    ( or if name changes.. maybe we get a choice of two)
For the people who want to leap from quarterly to quarterly we have a
symlink from "quarterly/Latest" to $DATE/updating/ and  from
quarterly/Initial to $DATE/initial

Each quarter  a new set is created with new dates, and the symlinks
are recreated.
also create in each real directory, a file that contains the (possibly
relative) URL so we know what to point our pkg.cfg at if we don't want
to follow the rolling version.

how long you leave the old ones there is up to you, but someone
mirroring might decide to leave them for ever if they had the space.
but at least leave them for a whole quarter...