Perl - what is the default?

Jim Trigg jtrigg at huiekin.org
Tue Apr 18 13:59:23 UTC 2017

According to UPDATING as of 20161103, "The default Perl version has been
switched to Perl 5.24." However, when I follow the instructions there to
switch, I get the following message (after running portsnap fetch update
manually even though it runs automatically every night):
"      This is *NOT* the DEFAULT perl version

It will *NOT* install /usr/local/bin/perl

It will *ONLY* install /usr/local/bin/perl5.24.1

The default Perl version currently is 5.20."

Yes, I added "DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= perl=5.24" to /etc/make.conf, and grep
confirms that that is the only incidence of perl in the file.

Thanks,
Jim Trigg