LLVM port(s) take very long time to package

Michael Gmelin grembo at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 12 08:43:24 UTC 2017

> On 12. Apr 2017, at 05:43, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> Hi there porters,
>
> It had been annoying me for a while, so I figured I try asking here:
> LLVM ports (particularly, llvm39-3.9.1) take abnormally long time to
> package, e.g. right now it took 43 minutes (tmpfs-backed build area,
> pkg-1.10.0_2.txz, AMD A8 APU @1900 MHz, plenty of RAM, no swap).
>
> pkg was eating 100% (of a single core) during that time, so it looks
> like it's actually busy (not waiting for I/O or something), but with
> what?  And can it be fixed?  LLVM ports are real PITA to (re)build,
> and while ccache helps to greatly reduce the build times, 3/4-hour
> package time still cripples it.

It's probably busy compressing the package. Try setting PKG_NOCOMPRESS=1 in /etc/make.conf (works ok when just building a package with make, didn't test with poudriere[0]). When creating packages, the current compression algorithm can't take advantage of multiple cores, so it's kind of a bottleneck on modern machines.

-m

[0] probably not, but it seems like bdrewery is working on this https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/issues/459