postgresql96-server system changes from postgresql95-server

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Sep 30 10:18:55 UTC 2016

Loïc Blot wrote on 09/30/2016 10:28:
> Hello,
>
> i upgraded this morning my postgresql 9.5 instance to 9.6 and i see that the postgresql user changes (pgsql to postgres) and the database path too (/usr/local/pgsql to /var/db/postgres/data96)
>
> I think pkg-message should warn user about this change, as it advertise user about postgresql 8.3 to 8.4 migration.

It was mentioned in UPDATING file which should be reed before each upgrade.
But I agree with you, it should be in pkg-message too.
UPDATING file is useless for users installing packages and not using
/usr/ports at all because UPDATING is not distributed with pkg metadata
so "pkg updating" command doesn't work. I posted about it in the past.
It is severe shortcoming in pkg concept.
I have a workaround for our servers with own poudriere repository - we
are serving UPDATING file thru nginx with packages. UPDATING file is
periodically checked from cron and downloaded if it was changed so we
can run "pkg updating" on all our machines without full ports tree.

20160905:
   AFFECTS: users of databases/postgresql96-server
   AUTHOR: girgen at FreeBSD.org

   The default unix user used by the PostgreSQL daemon has changed to
   `postgres' to reflect the long time upstream's convention. Any scripts
   you have using the old `pgsql' unix user should be modified when
upgrading to
   PostgreSQL version 9.6. Older versions of PostgreSQL will continue using
   `pgsql' until their end-of-life.

   For users with UTF-8 locales in the database: The ICU patch is
*activated by
   default* for the PostgreSQL-9.6 server. For previous versions it was
optional
   and default off, but this has changed. Please read the entry here
below from
   20160811 and understand the consequences of changing between ICU and
system
   locale for database collation (short version: don't). pg_upgrade
requires the
   collation method to be the same (or a reindex), while pg_dump/restore
does not.

   Also, the default home directory for the postgres user is now
   /var/db/postgres, and the default data directory for PostgreSQL 9.6 is
   /var/db/postgres/data96.