Google Code as an upstream is gone

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 29 15:37:02 UTC 2016

Le 29/09/2016 à 17:03, Christian Weisgerber a écrit :
> On 2016-09-14, Mathieu Arnold <mat at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Google Code has been deprecated[1] since March 2015, and read-only since
>> August 2015, giving time to software developers to move their
>> development some place else. All the distribution files that still use
>> solely googlecode.com as their source have been marked BROKEN today in
>> r422140[2], as they are not fetchable.
>>
>> Most software have moved to some other place (mostly on github), all you
>> have to do is figure out where and update your ports accordingly.
> Or you can simply replace
>
> ${PROJECT}.googlecode.com/files/
>
> with
>
> https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/${PROJECT}/
>
> which could have trivially been done in bsd.sites.mk.

No you cannot.

Before marking all the ports BROKEN, I started by changing the
MASTER_SITE_GOOGLE_CODE entry to make things fetchable again. The
problem with that approach is that it is just hiding the fact that the
software have not been updated for more than a year and will never be
again. The goal of marking all those ports broken is that people will go
and look for where the software went after google code, so that it gets
updated when new releases go out.

If the software has not been moved to some other place, (it takes about
30 seconds to click the automatic migration to github thing, and it is
usually done within the hour,) since march 2015, it is most likely
abandoned and should not be kept in the ports tree.

--
Mathieu Arnold