Installing ports via pkg on 11

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 20:07:24 UTC 2016

Luciano Mannucci writes:

> Excuse my newbeeness...
>
> I'm not able to install ports via pkg install on 11-RC3. This might be
> due to the version not beeing "release" (yet) I guess... :)
> if I issue a pkg install <anithing> I get
>
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:powerpc64/quarterly/meta.txz: Not Found
> repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
> pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:powerpc64/quarterly/packagesite.txz: Not Found
> Unable to update repository FreeBSD
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> pkg: Repository FreeBSD cannot be opened. 'pkg update' required

There's no package repository for PowerPC architecture. You'll need to
build everything from ports. Others have recommended Poudriere, and it's
an excellent tool, but if this is your primary or only machine then I
would personally recommend ports-mgmt/synth.

Synth is very similar to Poudriere, but is better-suited to a
single-machine use case. Poudriere works pretty well for single-machine
use cases, too, but it's overkill. It operates according to much more
stringent standards that necessitate frequently rebuilding the same
packages over and over. Simply upgrading a couple ports could require
building a couple dozen all over again.

--
::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'