Is there a mechanism to select the preferred version from mulitple installed versions of a port?

Palle Girgensohn girgen at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 21 12:19:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

MacPorts has this and I believe that Debian has something similar.

Say I want to install

foobar-1.0
and
foobar-2.0

and they CONFLICT

what if I could change the foobar ports to install in, say ${PREFIX}/libexec/foobar-1.0 and ${PREFIX}/libexec/foobar-2.0 respectively, and then add a metaport that symlinks the preferred one.

Fine you say, look at python or similar metaports. Sure, but it would nice to have a port that also has a command

portselect foobar foobar-1.0

or

portselect foobar foobar-2.0

and the preferred version would be symlinked from ${LOCALBASE}/bin/foobar -> ${PREFIX}/libexec/foobar-2.0/foobar so users could set and change the default version and still use the common binary distributed packages.

Just a thought. This could of course be written for a specific port, but perhaps there is a mechanism in the ports tree for this that I've missed?

Palle