n00b problem installing postfix package

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Wed Sep 14 18:12:14 UTC 2016

Bryan C. Everly wrote on 09/14/2016 19:11:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a new 10.3 server that includes postfix and
> majordomo for a BUG I'm trying to get off the ground.  I'm normally an
> OpenBSD guy but I thought I'd give it a try on FreeBSD.
>
> Anyhow, I'm wanting to follow this guide:
>
> http://www.area536.com/projects/complete-freebsd-mail-server/postfix-youve-got-incoming/
>
> And I'm failing right out of the gate because I can't find postfix when I do:
>
> # pkg install postfix
>
> It says there isn't a package with that name.  When I check
> freshports, I see that there indeed is:
>
> https://www.freshports.org/mail/postfix/
>
> Is there something I have to do to get things pointed at the "right"
> package source like I do in OpenBSD (PKG_PATH)?  I was able to install
> apache and some other stuff just fine the way I currently have things
> configured FWIW.
>
> Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question but I really could use the help.

Try the following command and then let us know it it works for you:

pkg install mail/postfix

Or you can search your pkg repository by command

pkg search postfix

Can give you somthing like this:

% pkg search postfix
postfix-3.1.1,1                Secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
postfix-current-3.2.20160612,4 Experimental Postfix version
postfix-current-sasl-3.2.20160612,4 Experimental Postfix version
postfix-logwatch-1.40.03       Postfix MTA log parser
postfix-policyd-sf-1.82_1,1    Anti-spam plugin for Postfix (written in C)
postfix-policyd-spf-perl-2.010_1 SPF policy service for Postfix written
in Perl
postfix-policyd-weight-0.1.15.2_6 Weighted policy daemon for postfix
postfix-postfwd-1.35_1         Postfix firewall policy daemon
postfix-sasl-3.1.1,1           Secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
postfix211-2.11.8,1            Secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
postfix211-sasl-2.11.8,1       Secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
postfixadmin-2.93              PHP web-based management tool for Postfix
virtual domains and users
py27-postfix-policyd-spf-python-1.3.2_1 Pure Python Postfix policy
daemon for SPF checking
trac-email2trac-postfix-2.6.2  Convert email to trac tickets

Miroslav Lachman