${INSTALL_DATA} problems

Aristedes Maniatis amaniatis at apache.org
Sat Sep 10 03:32:41 UTC 2016

On 8/09/2016 10:47pm, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> Now, I'm seeing something else that is a bad idea, it is using the -o
> flag.  Ports must build as a regular user.  A regular user will not be
> able to change the owner of the files.  This must be done in the
> pkg-plist file, using @owner/@group as described in the Porter's
> Handbook:
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/plist-keywords.html

I've just tried this but ran into some difficulty. Specifically I have a plist which is many hundreds of lines long. There is no way this will be maintained into the future without mistake.

So I found in Mk/Uses/drupal.mk, this syntx:

PLIST_FILES+=   "@owner www" \
                "@group www" \

When I added this to my Makefile

PLIST_FILES+=   "@owner {$SOLR_USER}" \
                "@group {$SOLR_GROUP}" \

nothing happened.

I really only want one folder installed with the correct permissions, but do I need to move my chmod code into the rc.d startup script instead and tying it into the pkg install?

Ari