Portmaster still be dissin' jive,bros

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 05:03:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Am 24.10.2016 um 21:42 schrieb Louis Epstein:
> > The technical issue persists that I can not update via portmaster because
> > I installed misc/jive out of sheer curiosity over its unprecedented MOVED
> > message.
> workarounds wirth trying - but untested (alternative):
>
> 1. pkg delete -fy jive
>
> 2. run portmaster with an explicit set of ports, for instance in bash
> (other shells may not grok the POSIX $(...) )
>     portmaster -d $(pkg version -Ivl\<| cut -f1 -d\< | xargs pkg info -qo)
> or: bash -c 'portmaster -d $(pkg version -Ivl\<| cut -f1 -d\< | xargs
> pkg info -qo)'

I have tested this and it works. First, don;t delete anything you want to
keep.  It.s not relevant.
# make -C /usr/ports fetchindex (or get it in any ot the several other ways
including building from scratch (slow).)
# pkg version -vL=
I do these steps in periodic every night.
I also do 'svn up /usr/ports' in the periodic script, but you can also just
update the out-of-date ports with 'svn up /usr/ports/class/port' for the
ports listed as needing updating,
Then run portmaster with the list of ports from the pkg above marked with
'<' as needing update. Also note any marked '?' and take appropriate action.

I quit doing 'portmaster -a' because it took so long to scan through all
ports, but it also solves you problem. (portmaster may now be using the
index and -a may not take so long.)
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com