misc/jive deleted

Eduardo Morras emorrasg at yahoo.es
Sat Oct 22 09:11:27 UTC 2016

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 13:45:10 +1100
andrew clarke <mail at ozzmosis.com> wrote:

> At the risk of this developing into a flame war, I thought this was
> curious:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-ports-head/2016-August/126687.html
>
> Is this the first time a port has been deleted for being "offensive"?

>From Jive description at wikipedia:

*Jive, also known as the Jive Filter, is a novelty computer program that
*converts plain English to a comic dialect known as "jive", a parody of
*African American Vernacular English. Some versions of the filter were
*adapted to parody other forms of English speech, such as valspeak,
*cockney, geordie, Pig Latin, and even the Swedish Chef. The latter form
*is sometimes known as the "Encheferator" or "Encheferizer". This family
*of programs became quite popular in the late 1980s.

So it's a parody of multiple english speechs. Also, mark it as
offensive is subjective opinion. Perhaps who made the change could
explain better.

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg at yahoo.es>