private ports and pkgs versioning

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 18 05:58:32 UTC 2016

Is there a standard way of naming a pkg that is locally compiled
(maybe with a different set of options, or a local patch) so that it
doesn't get confused with generic ports that are from freeBSD.org?

I want to use mostly standard pkgs but need to compile a few myself
(this can't be an uncommon requirement).

How can I name my variant pkgs so the the pkg program (and ports) can
still know that it is a satisfactory supplier of prerequisite components?

e.g.  if a pkg wants a specific rev of libxml2 how much does it use of
the name libxml2-2.9.2_2 ?

Can (should) I add stuff after the '_'?  If I do will it still
recognise my pkg file and if I do are there any rules regarding *WHAT*
I can put there.

lastly is there somewhere I should be looking to read all this
information rather than pestering the mailing list?

What I'd like to have is my own depot with something like:

===

libsmi-0.4.8_1.txz
libxcb-1.11.1.txz
libxml2-2.9.2_2-mumble.3.txz
lsof-4.88,8.txz
lsof-4.90.b,8.txz
m4-1.4.17_1,1.txz

===

where 'mumble.3' is a locally defined addition, but all the rest of
the pkgs are straight from pkg.freebsd.org, (or at least compile in
default form).

This "kind-of" works, but the rules of play are not defined anyhere I
have read, so I don't know if it's going to suddenly fail one day.

Also it's be really nice if there were a variable I could set to
"mumble.3" so that I don't have to do a manual rename, because between
the time that the package is made and it is renamed there is a
'misnamed' package sitting around acting as a potential source of
confusion.

thanks,

Julian