Alternatives to rsync

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 17 22:08:06 UTC 2016

On Monday, 17 October 2016 at  6:51:05 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2016 1:21 AM, "Lars Engels" <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:
>>
>> rsync 2 has a different algorithm for checking if a file changed. The
>> new one is much faster.
>
> Rsync 2 also spent a long time building a list of changes files first,
> before transferring any data.
>
> Rsync 3 starts building the file list, then starts transferring data while
> it continues to build the file list. This drops the total time spent by a
> large factor. Our backup times dropped by about an hour per server
> switching from 2 to 3.
>
> Something else to consider when looking at resurrecting version 2.

I can see no good reason to use rsync 2 in favour of 3.  But reko is
concerned by the GPL number, not rsync number.

The other thing to consider is whether rsync 2 is faster than the
other alternative software.  I suspect that it is.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.