harder and harder to avoid pkg

Matthieu Volat mazhe at alkumuna.eu
Fri Oct 14 11:27:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 13:05:35 +0200
David Demelier <demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It is imho doable in both sides.
> >
> > We could imagine tagging the plist/manifest so pkg can allow a user to install
> > only the things tagged as runtime for exemple which would do the job. for what
> > Julian is asking for beside adding lots of complexity pkg(8) and adding a
> > nightmare in the solver.
> >
> > That would "please" the people that want "hey keep the giant flat package as it
> > is better for dev given I don't have to install the -devel version something"
> > and the people wanting fine grain selection if they need to.
> >
> > But on the ports side that would be a nightmare having to tag all the plist (and
> > this cannot be automated because there are to many corner cases.
>
> IIRC, rpm builders have script that automate this by finding files in
> standard directories. Probably by checking in the stage a include/
> directory and "tag" it as the development part.

Unless things changed very recently, not quite : you have to pile subpackage declaration and files sections according to the subpackages you create. The only things it has to ease the burden is you can use wildcard patterns to select files.

> It will be the most smart way of doing this but still require some
> addition to pkg. Probably like:
>
> - pkg install mylib
> - pkg install -t dev mylib
> - pkg install -t runtime mylib
> - pkg install -t dev,runtime,doc mylib
>
> Just thinking ;)

More options, then more options to `pkg info` to get what was installed when something cannot build, then more pkg search options and manpage because more "-t" flags will be added and we don't know what's needed?

--
Matthieu Volat <mazhe at alkumuna.eu>