harder and harder to avoid pkg

David Demelier demelier.david at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:42:04 UTC 2016

> On 10/12/16 09:24, Matthieu Volat wrote:
>
>> And GNU/Linuxes can be a PITA when you have to track -dev(el) packages
>> (which sometimes really requires -bin, -app or whatever), or worst, describe
>> to people how they are supposed to build your software with weird subpackage
>> names.
>>
>> I really like that ports provides the software project as intended by
>> upstream (modulo options).
>

> Just a "me too" here!

Could not agree more.

Please forget that idea.

I just hate having to install libfoo, libfoo-dev, libfoo-dbg,
libfoo-doc, libfoo-whatever each time I need to develop on Linux.
Please do not transform FreeBSD as a Linux distribution :)

I love the way FreeBSD and some very sparse Linux distributions
provide the packages exactly how it would be installed by hand (=
vanilla).

FreeBSD offers some options and very few changes for better
integration but packages are provided vanilla. You want a package? You
install /packagename/ nothing more, nothing less. I really would like
to see simple vanilla packages for the next 10 years.

The FreeBSD ports is already extremely complicated, do not make it
even harder :(

Regards,

--
Demelier David