harder and harder to avoid pkg

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 12 09:13:15 UTC 2016

On 2016/10/12 09:43, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
>> You are describing the 'sub-packages' concept that has been knocking
>> > around for some time.  With sub-packages you'ld divide up the result
>> > of staging each port into various chunks:
> Yep, like this:
>
> Mar 6 2016 - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5563
> Ports framework "variants" proof-of-concept (with poudriere support)
>
> Status Report Dec 2015 - Supporting Variants in the Ports Framework
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2015-10-2015-12.html#Supporting-Variants-in-the-Ports-Framework

Variants is a related but different concept -- known as 'flavours' (or
'flavors') in some parts.  The difference is that 'sub packages' divide
up the output from one compilation of the sources, whereas 'variants' or
'flavours' require the same source code to be recompiled with different
options.  (As you'ld need to do to create eg. py27- and py34- versions
of python modules.) Both are things we'd like to have in ports, but they
can be implemented pretty much separately.

	Cheers,

	Matthew