What sort of a hog is Ruby?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Oct 7 07:05:55 UTC 2016

Looks like I need to upgrade it for security issues; so I tried to compile
it from the ports area.

First it blew out my disk space (the "work" sub-directory), so when I
rearranged a few things to make more room it blew out my swap space!

On my box /tmp is "tmpfs" i.e. use memory first before overflowing into
swap; that's going to be trickier to fix...  I guess I'll have to kludge
/tmp as a symlink into /usr/local or something, where I have heaps of
room.

On the other hand I guess I could figure out what requires Ruby, and
decide whether I really need it.

What sort of disk farms do these developers have?  I'm only a small-time
user and wannabe developer...