LICENSE questions

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen stephen at missouri.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:04:08 UTC 2016

On 10/04/2016 06:47 AM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> Le 04/10/2016 à 09:29, Eitan Adler a écrit :
>>> Suppress what messages ?
>> 115 .if defined(LICENSE)
>> 119 .else
>> 120 DEV_WARNING+=   "Please set LICENSE for this port"
>> 121 .endif
>
> Mmmm, this is a warning, not an error, it tells you "dude, maybe you
> need to do this".
> I don't see a good reason to complicate the logic more.

Because naive port maintainers like myself might think they should add a
LICENSE to any metaport they happen to own.

One of the issues I have with LICENSE is that I don't see anything about
it in the porters handbook.  Otherwise that would be an excellent place
to tell maintainers of metaports not to license them.

Also the tone is quite commanding.  If it said "Consider setting LICENSE
for this port", that would be more acceptable.  Really, I think it
should say "Please set LICENSE for this port, unless this is a metaport".

Stephen