dependency explosions

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Oct 3 13:29:52 UTC 2016

Grzegorz Junka wrote on 10/03/2016 15:11:

> On 03/10/2016 12:14, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>> Le 01/10/2016 à 04:35, Julian Elischer a écrit :
>>> There is a need for a "minimum" install of a lot of packages.
>> Some dependencies are often optional, and can be unchecked by running
>> make config.
>>
>>> Such a 'minimum' install should probably be the default when coming in
>>> as a dependency, as
>>> there is an increasing tendency to configure things with all the bells
>>> and whistles.
>> The bare minimum will never be the default.  The default is what will
>> fit most people, so that they can use our packages out of the box.
>>

> Shouldn't all packages default to noX dependencies? If I am not mistaken
> FreeBSD is predominantly a server-side system, with X running only
> occasionally (I am running X but I compile all packages with poudriere).

I agree. Many ports have X and -nox11 (like ImageMagick-nox11 or
open-vm-tools-nox11) but there are still some without nox11 variant.

But X11 is not the only one dependency problem.
I think that dependency changes should be better tracked and examined
before commit changes to ports tree.

Miroslav Lachman