"make install" appears to silently fail to install some files if $LOCALBASE is a symlink

John tech-lists at zyxst.net
Mon Nov 21 00:57:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016, at 23:31, David Wolfskill wrote:

> Folks who have a symlink for /usr/local (or whatever $LOCALBASE
> expands to) and who rely on "make install" to install ports might
> want to take a look: I was a bit surprised at the number of affected
> ports.  (Note that portmaster uses "make install"; I would expect that
> portupgrade does, as well.)
>
> A circumvention (as mentioned in the bug report) is to:
> "make clean package deinstall && pkg add work/pkg/* && make clean"
> within the port directory.

Thank you. I thought I was losing it. I'd install portupgrade, and it
would say it installed OK, but it wouldn't be there. Same goes for perl,
and I'd guess probably most ports, certainly everything I tried to
update.

I have a zpool called 'storage' and /usr/local is 'mounted' as
/storage/usr/local.

--
J.