mail/{neo,}mutt: why not packaged with gpgme?

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Wed Nov 2 20:45:56 UTC 2016

Hello,

While talking about an issue I have with mail/{neo,}mutt and
security/gnupg on #gnupg on freenode I was advised to use
security/gpgme with mutt. I haven't been using gpgme for a while,
mainly because the packaged versions of both mail/{neo,}mutt have
it disabled and I was too lazy to compile it on my own. Since
I got that advice, I've started wondering:

Why is gpgme disabled by default?

As was argued (and as I experienced myself) setting up mutt to
work with gpgme is much easier than without. Especially gnupg2
made it difficult to configure mutt without gpgme. So why not
enabling gpgme in the packaged versions?

I decided not to create a PR about this request. If that's wrong,
tell me and I'll create one.

    Niklaas