Using the subversion switch command to keep up with quarterly branches

Mel Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Mon May 16 00:58:59 UTC 2016

I track the quarterly ports branches so that I can build ports from the
same tree as binary packages so that I don't, for example, have to build
all 2783 packages on my dev VM, just the 13 where I need non-default
options.  Yes I know, "That is not the intended use, ma'am," blah blah
void my warranty, etc.  This is a dev/preprod instance, I am TRYING to
break it.

Since the current quarter's branch name changes each quarter (2016Q1,
2016Q2), you can't just relocate and update, you need to use the switch
command.  I really just want to keep up with the current quarter and
would like to take advantage of already having most of the branch
already downloaded.

Is it safe to use the switch command to jump ports quarterly branches
(assuming a read-only check-out), or are there special gotchas in how
FreeBSD is doing the branches?