old ports/packages

Wed May 4 08:37:31 UTC 2016

On 04.05.2016 09:03, Greg Byshenk wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 01:44:29PM +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

>>> You can generate your own packages from the ports tree, just not with
>>> pkg_install, it was deprecated three or four years ago, and remove 19
>>> months ago.
>
>> Of course I can create NEW packages..  I want to generate OLD style
>> packages..
>>
>> what's so hard to understand about that?  if a company has old
>> packages build into it's infrastructure....
>>
>> and has to create old style packages of "proprietary stuff" to send
>> out to appliances out in the field then you are breaking them.
>
> I'm not a developer, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
> in any of this, but...
>
> Julian, you -can- create old-style packages (eg: of proprietary
> internal software); you just have to do it based on an old-style
> ports tree (which you can checkout, if you need it, as noted
> above).
>
> What you cannot do is create old-style packages from a new ports
> tree. This is because the ports infrastructure has been changing
> since pkg_install was deprecated, and pkg_install simply will not
> work with the current ports tree (and, as I understand it, cannot
> practically be modified in order to work with it).

You are mostly correct. It is possible to modify and old ports-tree to
get the new software in. I have at least two customer paying me for
exact this work. But to be fair: it is no fun and harder with every new
release :D

I suppose what some customer need is an LTS version. Missing one is a
show stopper for FreeBSD usage in many firms i talked to. I do not think
this is a good idea from a technical point - but firms are slow and want
stability.

Greetings,
Torsten