Issue with Bind-9.10

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 29 20:45:31 UTC 2016

On 29 Mar, Peter Fraser wrote:
> Hi All
> I upgraded from Bind 9.9x to bind910-9.10.3P4 on FreeBSD-9.3-RELEASE-p33.
> During the installation from ports, I checked RRL(Response Rate Limiting)
> After the installation I checked and resolves are still working. I
> restarted the service and no errors. My problem now is that when I use the
> option rate-limit { responses-per-second 10; }; and reload bind I get the
> error, unknown option rate-limit. Has anyone ever seen this error?
>
> I ran named -V as was suggested to me on another mailing list and
> surprisingly, got this result below. It is still showing Bind-9.9.5
> although pkg info shows bind910-9.10.3P4
> BIND 9.9.5 (Extended Support Version) <id:> built by make with
> '--prefix=/usr' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
> '--enable-threads' '--enable-getifaddrs' '--disable-linux-caps'
> '--with-openssl=/usr' '--with-randomdev=/dev/random' '--without-idn'
> '--without-libxml2'

Since you are running FreeBSD 9.3, which also has a copy of BIND in the
base system, I suspect that the base version of named is getting
executed instead of the ports version installed under /usr/local.

When you installed the port, you should have seen the pkg-message, which
says:

*   You will need to make sure that you have the following line      *
*   in your /etc/rc.conf in order to have the startup script         *
*   run the named version from the port:                             *
*   named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"                            *