HTML5 videos crashes Firefox

Christoph Brinkhaus c.brinkhaus at t-online.de
Tue Mar 29 17:37:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 06:20:13PM +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

Hello Andrea!

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 10:12:07 -0700, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
>
> > Hello Andrea,
>
> Hello and thanks for your help.
>
> > I have tried the first video I get from youtube without problems.
> > May be you post an url where the crash occurs.
>
> I can just go to youtube.it/com and choose a random one; e.g.:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJLzq_coUg
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbVEXCh63pQ
>
> (Please forgive me for linking that crap, but you asked it :)

Wonderful stuff. Now I know why we must spend more
money for a fast internet;-).

I have tried both videos on the firefox I build from sources
for 1-2 minutes with privoxy enabled and no problems.

The second works also on a firefox I have installed in a jail
as package. It works also with privoxy disabled. I have not dared to
do this for the first one. I have no idea who logs what...

The only thing I get are error messages as below:
$ ssh fox firefox
libGL error: failed to open drm device: No such file or directory
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
1459272168729	addons.xpi	WARN	Bootstrap state is invalid (missing add-ons:

I have no add-ons.

> > The options I use are
> > according to pkg info
> > ALSA : on
> > BUNDLED_CAIRO : off
> > CANBERRA : off
> > DBUS : on
> > DEBUG : off
> > DTRACE : off
> > FFMPEG : on
> > GCONF : off
> > GIO : on
> > GNOMEUI : off
> > GTK2 : on
> > GTK3 : off
> > INTEGER_SAMPLES: off
> > LIBPROXY : off
> > OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS: off
> > PGO : off
> > PROFILE : off
> > PULSEAUDIO : off
> > TEST : off
>
> I had:
> >         ALSA           : off
> >         BUNDLED_CAIRO  : on
> >         CANBERRA       : off
> >         DBUS           : on
> >         DEBUG          : off
> >         DTRACE         : on
> >         FFMPEG         : on
> >         GCONF          : off
> >         GIO            : on
> >         GNOMEUI        : off
> >         GTK2           : off
> >         GTK3           : on
> >         INTEGER_SAMPLES: off
> >         LIBPROXY       : off
> >         OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS: on
> >         PGO            : off
> >         PROFILE        : off
> >         PULSEAUDIO     : on
> >         RUST           : on
> >         TEST           : off
>
> However, I tried your set of options (with RUST on and off, since you
> don't have it): things didn't change, still crashing.
>
>  > The version is 45.0.1,1
>
> 45.0.1_3,1, here, but I also went through 45.0.1,1, which crashed in the
> same way.
>
> > May be you try pkg_libchk from sysutils/bsdadminscripts
> > if the libraries are in order.
>
> I used sysutil/libchk, which should do more or less the same thing:
> there were some unresolved references in binaries which should not be
> related to FireFox: I solved that, but it's still crashing.
> Any other thing to check?

I do not know.

> > Do you have an i386 kernel?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I am not sure if there might be a possible issue.
>
> Any pointer on that?
> *If* firefox is incompatible with i386 I might switch, but it's going to
> be a very long work; so I'd like to get some hint about this before I
> venture myself in such a trouble.

With some luck somebody will do the tests on a different i386 machine.

> > When I have started using FreeBSD I thought amd64 is just for AMD processors.
> > But amd64 is also ok for Intel.
>
> I know the difference.
> However this box's install predates amd64: I was using it more than 10
> years ago (5.x or 6.x possibly) and it's still there through several
> hardware and software upgrades.
> Until now I haven't found any good reason to drop everything and
> reinstall from scratch...

Ok, you are much more experienced than me.
I hope that at least the tests have given some information.

>  > This is likely the newest one. I am not completely up to date because
>  > I mostly upgrade only when there are vulnerabilities.
>
> So do I, but I've gone through every minor update since I'm experiencing
> these crashes.

Good luck, I hope you will find the root cause.

>   bye & Thanks
> 	av.
Kind regards,
Christoph