databases/mariadb100-server fails to start inside jail

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Fri Mar 25 20:13:52 UTC 2016

Hi. I run mariadb100-server-10.0.23 in a jail on 11-current. Some strange errors with error-check prompted me to backup the DB and create a fresh new instance to which I plan to restore the data later. Now MDB fails to start in the jail, but does start on native. I've narrowed the problem thus:

* Start the SQL jail & #jexec sql-jail csh

root at sql-jail# mysqld_safe --nowatch --skip-grant-tables
MDB does not start, sql-jail/var/log/mysql-safe.log shows:

- mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
- [Note] Initializing built-in plugins
- [ERROR] mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/var/db/mysql/aria_log_control' (Errcode: 13 "Permission denied")
- [ERROR] mysqld: Got error 'Can't create file' when trying to use aria control file '/var/db/mysql/aria_log_control'
- [ERROR] Aria engine is not enabled or did not start. The Aria engine must be enabled to continue as mysqld was configured with --with-aria-tmp-tables
- [ERROR] Aborting
----------------------
The error message makes no sense because:
root at sql-jail# su -m mysql (or "sudo -u mysql sh")
$ id --> uid=88(mysql) gid=88(mysql) groups=88(mysql)
/var/db/mysql$ touch aria.log --> -rw-r--r--  1 mysql  mysql aria.log

sql-jail/etc/passwd mysql entry:
mysql:*:88:88:MySQL Daemon:/var/db/mysql:/usr/sbin/nologin

sql-jail/var/log/messages has this:
su: _secure_path: cannot stat /var/db/mysql/.login_conf: Permission denied

I have 5 more jails with different services but none of them have any such problem, so I'm convinced it's a MariaDB issue. It's also worth noting that MDB had several difficulties creating the initial control tables in the jail, so I had to actually complete that stage on native, then copy the mysql folder to the jail's path.

Everything is on ZFS, I even tried a modified mount point for mysql with no effect as "aclinherit = passthrough"

Regards.

--
FreeBSD_amd64_11-Current_RadeonKMS
Please CC my email when responding, mail from list is not delivered.